"Don't eat this."
Emetic Russula - August, 2013
It's been a rainy August in the Ozarks, and one of the side-effects is that lots of native fungi are popping up. This little fellow is about two inches tall, and looks like there should be a garden gnome nearby.
General rules for mushrooms: If it's a mushroom, and you don't know what it is, don't eat it.
If it's a mushroom, and it's bright red, don't eat it.
It's cute to look at, but all of the different varietes of Emetic Russula are called "emetic" for good reason -- they're moderately toxic and induce vomiting.
...proving, once again, that imagination is lots more fun than reality.
emetic russulared mushroomemetictoxicpoisonousmushroom